*This selection is for the Final Exam only. Access to the book, Clinical Textbook of Addictive Disorders (Fourth Edition), is required to complete the exam. To order the e-Book from Guilford Press (which enables you to take the course immediately), click here. To order the paperback book from PRP, click here.
This program presents a comprehensive discussion of the assessment and treatment of all the major addictive disorders, including alcohol, nicotine, opioids, cannabis, hallucinogens and inhalants, caffeine, stimulants, cocaine, and sedatives/hypnotics and benzodiazepines. Polysubstance use, abuse, and dependence, and co-occuring substance use disorders are examined as well as gambling and other behavioral addictions. Special populations in which substance use and abuse occur such as older adults, HIV/AIDS patients, women, and adolescent, are addressed. Psychotherapeutic and psychopharmacologic treatment methods for the addictive disorders are presented.
25 CE credits/hours, 250 questions
Psychologists | School Psychologists | Marriage & Family Therapists | Mental Health Counselors | Social Workers
- Discuss the foundations of addiction historically and neurobiologically.
- Apply diagnostic criteria to the assessment of substance users and abusers.
- Compare different laboratory testing procedures.
- Analyze the difference between substances of abuse.
- Identify polysubstance use, abuse, and dependency.
- Identify behavioral addictions.
- Examine addiction in the workplace.
- Assess chronic pain patients who misuse opioids.
- Apply special considerations to older adult substance abuse.
- Apply special considerations to women substance abusers.
- Apply special considerations to adolescent substance users and abusers.
- Utilize matching and differential therapies for the most appropriate treatment.
- Design treatments using individual psychodynamic psychotherapy.
- Design treatments using cognitive therapy.
- Utilize group therapy methods.
- Apply motivational interviewing techniques to substance abuse clients.
- Blend psychopharmacological treatments with psychotherapy.
Statement of Understanding (downloadable/printable)
"Clinical Textbook of Addictive Disorders (Fourth Edition)" - Final Exam Questions (downloadable/printable)